The New Year is a great time to make healthy lifestyle changes, kick bad habits and improve your well-being. No wonder many Americans celebrate the New Year with resolutions to get healthier. While only a very small percentage of people stick to their resolutions, here are some steps that SoHo Men’s Health believes can help get you healthier and achieve your goals in the coming year.
Losing as little as 5 to 10 percent of your body weight can help reduce your risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure. While fad diets can help you lose weight quickly, you’re more likely to achieve long-term successful weight loss if your goal is to lose a pound or two per week.
Healthy eating is about what and how you eat. It’s important to get the recommended daily servings of fruits and vegetables, which are low in calories and fat, high in fiber, and high in vitamins and minerals. Foods that contain fiber help you lose weight by making you feel full. Turn off the TV, put away your phone, and enjoy the texture and taste of this meal. It can take up to 20 minutes for your brain to receive the message from your stomach that you are no longer hungry. So stop eating before you feel full.
Schedule An Annual Checkup
Visiting Dr. Bortecen every year and taking advantage of your preventive care services can help you stay healthy. Regular checkups and tests allow him to catch health problems before they become major problems. When the disease is caught early, treatment is often more effective. That’s why it’s important to see your doctor regularly every year, even if you feel healthy.
When your stress gets out of hand, simple activities like breathing exercises, walking, or listening to music can help get your life back on track. Chronic stress can affect your health and well-being, so discover healthy ways to reduce stress. If you are finding it difficult, discuss diet, exercise, or medicinal options with Dr. Bortecen to find the optimal wellness plan for you.
Following through on your New Year’s resolution is challenging. You’re more likely to succeed if you set goals that fit your lifestyle. Creating healthy new habits takes time and energy.
- Be specific. – define how much weight you want to lose and commit to exercising for 30 minutes, five days a week.
- Be realistic. – If you haven’t exercised in years, immediately training for a marathon can be very overwhelming. If you rarely eat vegetables, try adding one serving to a meal each day.
- Track your success. – If your goal is to be more active, a wearable fitness tracker can help you stay motivated. If you want to stop smoking, keep track of how much money you have saved by not buying cigarettes.
- Don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good – If healthy eating is your goal, that doesn’t mean you have to give up all of the foods you love at once. Allowing yourself a salty snack or piece of chocolate can help you stay on track and achieve your long-term goals.
- Celebrate your milestones. – Break your overall goals into smaller items, and reward yourself for each step.
Following these tips can help make sure you stay on track toward becoming a healthier, happier you. If you are a man seeking support and education regarding your health and wellness in New York, consider SoHo Men’s Health, the first men’s health and wellness experience in New York City. Call 347-749-1174 to ask how we can help you meet your health, wellness, and aesthetic goals today.